When Christopher Bailey said he wanted the clothes in Burberry Prorsum's pre-collection to look like they'd had a life before you met them, he was talking about much more than that slightly faded, vintage-y English rose mood that his Burberry has evoked so expertly in the past.
Here, the texture of a dress in ruched and washed leather suggested something much more ancient—a sunbaked lizard's skin, perhaps. That was in keeping with the exotic subtext Bailey was exploring. He started with uniforms from the British colonies in the 1930's and forties that he found in the company archives, which meant plenty of the authentic military shapes and detailing—belts (the best in python), utility pockets, epaulets, wrist straps—that added spine to Burberry's standout Fall collection.
But then Bailey injected some urban steam heat with silhouettes so fitted they brought a whole new sexiness to the house vocabulary. Lightweight stretch fabrics limned the body. Legs were defined by thigh-high boots. And the iconic trench was reconfigured in ultralight cowhide or cotton sateen, proposed as a lean, mean coat-dress clasped with a wide belt. A crocheted cotton slip dress might sound demure, but it was hot enough for Liz Taylor's Maggie the Cat. That hint of Hollywood sizzle was reinforced in a leopard-printed rabbit fur coat—on paper, a cool-weather item, but produced here in a surprising warm-weather weight. It underscored the glamorous edge—or is that edgy glamour?—of a collection that reflected the burgeoning sophistication of Bailey's Burberry.
- 16/04/2011 17:04 - [Video] D&G WOMAN FASHION SHOW WINTER 2011
- 14/04/2011 08:37 - Model At Seoul Motor Show 2011
- 12/04/2011 07:33 - Fashion Trends 2012, Spring, Summer Fashion Trends 2012
- 10/04/2011 03:57 - Basic House 2011 Fashion Collection
- 09/04/2011 15:10 - Wedding Fashion 2011, Wedding Fashion Collection 2011
- 30/03/2011 09:42 - Chanel Fall 2011 - Chanel Collection
- 29/03/2011 09:15 - Versace Fashion Blog
- 20/03/2011 16:12 - Mimco’s L’Oreal Melbourne FasHioNs festival show
- 18/03/2011 03:01 - Autumn/Winter 2010 Fashion Trend - The Cape
- 15/03/2011 10:16 - Tail hems: dresses longer at the back